A cyclone named Nivar is developing in the Bay of Bengal and is likely to reach the coasts between Mamallapuram (Tamil Nadu) and Karaikal (Puducherry) on November 25. It is predicted that Cyclone Nivar is expected to bring in heavy to extremely heavy rains in Rayalaseema and south coastal Andhra Pradesh districts on the day of its arrival and the day following that. Waterspouts are likely to be seen in districts of Visakhapatnam and East Godavari.
It is a major possibility that Cyclone Nivar is to concentrate into a depression over the southwest Bay of Bengal during the next 24 hours and is going escalate into a cyclonic storm during the subsequent 24 hours. Predictions are such that on November 25 the cyclone is expected to move northwestwards and cross Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coasts between Karaikal and Mahabalipuram.
As per the movement of the Cyclone, it is likely to move towards north Sri Lanka and south Tamil Nadu coast. The coastal areas of the southern state are anticipated to receive heavy rainfall between November 23-26. The NDRF made six teams and have left for Cuddalore and Chidambaram towns to assist in relief measures as a prediction of heavy rainfall is alarmed.
The Fishermen have been alerted, warned about the heavy rainfall, and are advised not to proceed into the Indian Ocean and adjoining central parts of South Bay of Bengal, West Bay of Bengal, Gulf of Mannar, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, and south Andhra Pradesh coast between November 22-25.
The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has given the following forecast
- For Coastal Andhra Pradesh: forecast of rainfall at isolated rainfall on November 23, isolated heavy to very heavy with extremely heavy rainfalls at over the entire region from 25 -26 November.
- For Tamilnadu, Puducherry, Karaikal: prediction for heavy rainfall from November 23-25.
- For South interior Karnataka: expected rainfall at isolated rainfall from November 23-24 and also expected heavy rainfall at isolated places on November 25.
- For Rayalaseema: anticipation of very heavy rainfall and extremely heavy falls at isolated places from November 25-26.
- For Telangana: forecast of rainfall at a few places at first then on November 26, rainfall is likely to occur at most places with heavy to very heavy rainfall with extremely heavy falls at isolated places.