India issued a strong worded statement on Chinese construction activities across Indo-China border and has said that we “don’t accept illegal Chinese occupation”. The statement comes after US’ defense department headquarter Pentagon issued a report where it made a reference to all the construction activities China has been indulging in. The report made the reference to a village comprising of about 100-homes in Arunachal Pradesh along the India-China border the Chinese nationals made. The statement further added that the country doesn’t accept any unjustified Chinese claims made on the issue.
In the geopolitical spectrums, some issues have encompassed decades worth of time and billions of resources and lives in pursuit of peace. Issues like Kashmir’s territorial conflict, Indo-Pak relations have since independence been the cause of friction between India and its neighbours.
Amid the conflicts, a newer conflict has emerged where China has been using its dominating position to unfair advantages. In the past couple of years, reports of Chinese troops making its way through to India and expanding its region has been a cause of distress for India.
On November 11, the Ministry of External Affairs issued a statement on the same.
The Facts of the Matter
Earlier this month, the US’ Defence Department issued its annual report where it highlighted how China is making gains in pressing its claims. The report claimed that India and China’s diplomatic negotiations are progressing at a slower pace.
The Biden Administration further reported that China has gained a real-world advantage amid the Indo-China standoff that occurred for 18-months since the last years.
The report also highlighted how China made a 100-house village at the disputed territory between Tibet and Arunachal Pradesh, a region that China has categorically maintained, is its own.
“Taken a Note of Report”: MEA Spokesperson
On November 11, the Ministry of External Affairs issued a statement in which it has stated that it has made a note on the advancements made by China. The MEA spokesperson, Mr. Arindam Bagchi, said “We have taken note of the US Department of Defence’ report to US Congress which inter-alia also makes a reference to construction activities by Chinese side along the India-China border areas particularly in the Eastern Sector.”
“Neither accepted illegal occupation, nor Chinese justification”
He further added, “China has undertaken construction activities in the past several years along the border areas including in the areas that it has illegally occupied over the decades. India has neither accepted such illegal occupation of our territory nor has it accepted the unjustified Chinese claims,” as quoted by an Indian Express report.
“The government has always conveyed its strong protest to such activities through diplomatic means and will continue to do so in the future,” the MEA spokesperson added.
MEA Assures India’s Commitment in Maintaining Sovereignty
Mr. Bagchi added that the Indian government continues to remain committed at the objective of “creating infrastructure along the border areas for the improvement of livelihood of its citizens, including in Arunachal Pradesh.”
He added that the Indian government is keeping a constant watch on the developments that has an impact on the country’s security. He further said that India is taking all the “necessary measures to safeguard its sovereignty and territorial integrity.”
What the Pentagon Report Made Reference To?
Earlier in January, it was reported that China had constructed a village approximately 4.5 kms within Indian territory. The village comprising of hundreds of houses was constructed along the banks of the Tsari Chu river. It should be noted that this was the same region where 5 persons were detained in September 2020 by the Chinese army.