A man recently woke up to the horror of waking up with one eye going blind after eye-eating parasites at his eye. The cause? The man in question fell asleep with contact lenses on. The man who suffered a tragic twist of fate was identified as 21-year-old Mike Krumholz. Earlier in December, Mike Krumholz made a shocking mistake, which he later found out, became the cause of him losing one of his eyes.

According to reports, Mike was wearing contact lenses when he decided to take a short nap at his workplace. Mike was no stranger to falling asleep with his contact lenses and had earlier gotten eye-infections due to the issue. In December, when he took the nap with the lenses on, it proved to be tragically worse than any mistake he ever made.

Mike was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis, which according to a Mirror report, is a “flesh-eating parasite which eats eye tissue”. The blindness in the right eye meant that he could no longer take his university studies or could work the same way.

The ordeal has been nothing but painful as he was quoted saying, “It’s like a constant shock, it’s a constant pain. I’m pretty proud of my pain tolerance but I have been screaming in pain.”

The Facts of the Matter

Wearing contact lenses can improve vision, but it can also pose risks if proper care and precautions are not taken. Falling asleep with contact lenses on can cause discomfort, irritation, and even infections. In some rare cases, it can even lead to serious eye problems, such as corneal ulcers or vision loss. Unfortunately, a man who fell asleep with his contact lenses on has experienced the latter.


Also Read: Bihar: Unmarried Man Gets Hospitalized to Get Hydrocele Surgery, Gets Sterilised Without Consent


21-Year-Old Man Makes Grave Mistake

The man in question has been identified as 21-year-old Mike Krumholz. It all started in December when the Florida-based youth took a small nap from his child-minding job. It was not the first time that Mike decided to take a shut eye with his contact lenses on. Interestingly, in the past, Mike had acquired a few minor infections, but never too much notice in the mistakes he was making.


Also Read: What is Frontotemporal Dementia, Brain Disorder That Bruce Willis is Diagnosed With?


Waking Up To Nightmare

When the 21-year-old decided to take a nap, little did he know that he would be waking up to horror. After his nap, he faced vision loss and severe pain. When he took to the doctor, he was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis. For the unversed, acanthamoeba keratitis is a flesh-eating parasite which ends up eating eye-tissues if not dealt with promptly.

This resulted in him having a badly damaged left eye, to the point that he could no longer continue his university studies or live his life the same way he did earlier. Things have gotten so bad for Mike, that he claims to be living in darkness for over 50 days after his infection was diagnosed.

Mike Krumholz One Eye Blind Due to Eye-Eating Parasites

Mike Krumholz One Eye Blind Due to Eye-Eating Parasites


Also Read: Prithvi Shaw Attacked by ‘Fans’ with Baseball Bat


Took Month to Reach Correct Diagnosis

According to reports, it took Mike over a month only to get the right diagnosis with the help of multiple doctor appointments. He also underwent photodynamic therapy, usually reserved for cancer patients, and flap surgery where the doctors took the ‘white’ of his eyes and put it on his pupil.

Even this did not help Mike, as he didn’t have any vision in his right eye. The only thing he has been able to see are flashes of black and grey.

The Painful Ordeal Continues

Not only has this been psychologically difficult for the 21-year-old, but severely painful as well. A Mirror report quoted him saying, “It’s like a constant shock, it’s a constant pain. I’m pretty proud of my pain tolerance but I have been screaming in pain.”

 

Follow Us on Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Flipboard | Google News