Google released WiFiNanScan developer mode for Android devices this last week. This feature operates similarly to Bluetooth, but with a greater range of distance coverage. This app launched on Google Play and is free to download under its Tools category.
With the introduction of its “WifiNanScan App,” Google has devised a way of keeping nearby smartphones as well as users connected. According to 9to5Google, it isn’t for end-users, but this will potentially impact their day-to-day use. The “WifiNanScan App” is designed for developers who want to try out WiFi Aware.
What is Wi-Fi Aware?
Neighborhood Aware Networking (NAN) is also known as the Wi-Fi Aware protocol. Developers, vendors, academic institutions, and other organizations that need users to connect their devices will benefit from the app. Once you’ve installed the app, you’ll be able to establish safe and independent connectivity.
Benefits of WiFi aware protocol –
This protocol is beneficial for all Android 8.0 as well as later devices, as it enables them to browse for and link with one another without requiring to be paired to each other.
The connection can be used for several purposes, the most important of all is the exchange of messages or vast quantities of data without the use of a GPS signal, the web, or network infrastructure.
Uses of WiFi Aware –
- Included is the capability of printing paper without the use of a network connection.
- Walking past a shop or restaurant and making a reservation, even though the place is closed, without using the internet.
- It is possible to automate the process of students registering into the school and adding their names into the roll call.
- Physical IDs are no longer needed for documentation verification at airports, like providing personal identification at the gateway and safety checks within the airports.
- Self-driving vehicles may use it to alert other autonomous vehicles about risks, GPS coordinates, or direction, as well as assist during traffic jams.
How much range does WiFi aware can cover?
The WifiNanScan app, as per Google, can calculate the distance across devices from one to 15 meters. This application can be used by developers, OEMs, even researchers to calculate distance and range in order to build Find My Phone or context-aware apps using WiFi Aware or NAN APIs for connecting range and data transmission. This removes the need for a network to transfer documents to a printer.
It’s also worth noting that there have been some enhancements to Wi-Fi Aware in Android 12. Improvements in productivity and the resolution of missing connections are among the items on the agenda.