Remember CAA?? “Citizenship Amendment Act”? The one which created chaos all across India and refugee people residing in India. Now that you are back with the memories of CAA, let’s talk about what is new in it. On Wednesday, 10th of February 2021, The Ministry of Home Affairs stated in Rajya Sabha that the rules under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), 2019 are under preparation. Though the Act has already come into force with effect from October 1, 2020.
This enlightenment on the CAA, 2019 came after the Congress MP Digvijaya Singh asked questions about:
Whether or not the rules were drafted for CAA?
- If the answer is yes, then when will the rules be notified and what are the rules under CAA, 2019.
- And if the answer is in no, then what are the reasons?
In response to his scepticism, Nityanand Rai, who is the Minister of State for Ministry of Home Affairs, replied that the Act has been notified on December 12, 2019.
He said that
- The act has come into force w.e.f. October 1, 2020.
- The rules regarding the Act are under preparation.
- The time extension to frame the rules has been granted by the committee on Subordinate Legislation, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha upto April 9th and July 9th respectively.
Quick review of CAA, 2019
Passed in December last year. The law grants citizenship to
- Parsi, and
- Christian refugees
Who came to India before 2015 from
- Bangladesh, and
There were clashes and violence took place in northern parts of Delhi between two sides aka supporting CAA and opposing CAA. This clash led to the death of about 53 people at least in the month of February last year.
To know more you can also watch: